Sunday, August 26, 2012

5km Time Trial Sunday 26 August 2012

Did a 5km time trial to see where I am pace wise. Managed a personal best 20:11, by about 23-24 seconds. Previous best was from 2010 at the tail end of marathon training. I also managed to do 15:51 for the 4km during the run, the first time I have ever gone sub 16.

I am reasonably pleased, and given better pacing or even some extra effort in the last 1km I could have gone sub 20.

Looming big problem though, my right heel has flared, the bursitis that had stopped me training properly for the last 2 years. Its only the right heel whereas it was always both, and its nowhere near as severe as it has been. I am taking a day off running tomorrow, and icing, Ibuprofen and topical NASAIDS to see if it improves.

I suspect its been triggered by the shoes, I have been wearing the new Saucony Kinvara's I bought recently for the last 5 runs I have done. I think they have triggered the problem, so I will switch back to my worn out Nike Free 3 V3 shoes for the rest of the week and see how it goes.

If it leads to improvement, then I  have reasonably clear evidence that shoes are generally the cause of my problems. And I will have to go looking for something that works for me. If only Nike did not change their Free 3 range so much, and I would be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment