Monday, April 29, 2013

Threw in a Sunday longer run last night

We were working through our budget on Sunday afternoon, it was stressful, and we both argued about it for several hours. I felt the need to get out and run so I did.

My plan has been to do 3 runs a week:

- Tuesday 5km easy, plus 5x300 reps increasing to say 10 over a few weekas
- Thursday 5km easy with one or 2 km's sub 4mins at the end.
- Saturday 5km race

I did the Saturday race, my best for the year of 21:50. I did the first 1km too fast for the condition I am in, pulled back for the 2nd one but it was all stacked up. So I struggled for the rest of it, as slow as 4:40min/km . I tried hard to finish fast but I did not have the wind for it.

Its clear to me that my legs are good and strong. My training until now is cultivating comfortable speed and good strength. But I don't have aerobic capacity to carry the speed over decent distances. This is pretty much the same issue I have had for years. Plenty of speed but not enough lungs. So I certainly need more mileage to improve that aspect.

Following on from the Saturday run I did 9km last night Sunday, and ended up doing it at average 4:55min/km pace. This is the longest run I have done for this year and the pace is also the fastest for all my longer runs this year. It was great to get out and go reasonably briskly and long. The weather was absolutely perfect, not at all cold but not muggy. A slight headwind on the way out that was nice and cool, and it assisted me on the way back. It did the trick I felt much better - but am a little sore today after it.

For this year, last nights 9km run counts for 8% or so of my total mileage. I have to use self discipline to NOT run too much as I feel the three days a week has been allowing everything to remain good and injury free. I am definitely needing more mileage to improve, but I HAVE to go easy and rehabilitate completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment