Sunday, October 11, 2009

Planned run 10 km race

Date: Sun, Oct 11, 2009 6:29 AM
Avg Pace: 04:29 min/km
Distance: 10.20 km

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15815648

This race was hosted by Brisbane Road Runners Club. We heard about them through a friend of ours that is a member. The race was a great course along the road next to the Brisbane River at West End, starting at the South Brisbane Sailing Club. We joined the club on the day and received a free entry to the race which was a pleasant surprise.

My preparation for the run has been severely hampered by my bad knee. I have had only one training run in two weeks. The rest has been good for the knee though, it is getting better all the time. Today the knee did not trouble me at all, only during warm up, and after the race during warm down. I still cannot stretch properly without pain, and it is still awkward in normal day to day movement.

I really do think that the RPM classes have help me greatly, it is a good aerobic workout combined with endurance. Also it works thighs, backside and even calves to help condition for running. The best thing is that it does this with a whole lot less stress on the body (knees, feet, hips), and so allows recovery from running to happen too. This lines up with what a lot of literature says about the best way to train for running.

I did 10km in 44.59 on my watch. The course seems to be about 200 metres further than exactly 10km, which is not really a problem. My watch says I did the 10.2km course in 45:53 but I took off at the start about 20-30 seconds after the official start, so I expect the 'official' time to be about 20-30 seconds more..

I went far too fast at the start doing the first 1km in 4:07. The first 4km were all under 4:30 pace. I slowed at the 5th km and did 4:37, and that was at one of the very small hills on the course. Managed another 4:29 at the 6th km. 7th and 8th km were 4:35, and from then on I died in the arse. The 9th km I stopped at a water station and walked while drinking. That was an excuse to slow down and catch a rest, and I am a little disappointed in myself for doing that. The very thing that makes a huge difference is this is consistency, and stopping to walk has a big impact on the overall time. In this case I think I lost a good 30 seconds. I won't be doing that ever again. The last 2 km's were 4:52, 4:43, which is not too bad.

Overall I am quite satisfied with the run. My pace early on was a big surprise, and I really do think that given a few weeks of good trouble free training to sharpen up, as well as RPM and strength training in the gym, I can get even faster. My short term aim was initially to get a 43min 10km race done and I think if I get a few good runs in that is a pace I can do really soon. That will be average 4:18 pace per km.

I should aim higher though and get a 4:10 pace for 10km (break 42min).. From there a 40min flat is the next step.

Oh yeh I did the 8km split in this race in 35:24 which pretty good too. Nearly a full 3 minutes quicker than my last 8km race back in March. My previous 10km race was done 26 April this year and I did 48:08 then. So I have definitely improved - by 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment