Sunday, September 13, 2009

Planned run 1 hour 20 minutes

Date: Sun, Sep 13, 2009 8:38 AM
Avg Pace: 5:02 min/km
Distance: 16.12 km

I forced myself to take four days off running to allow my left knee to recover. I treated it with cold pack, Ibuprofen and Voltarin Emulgel. In bed I elevated both legs for as long as I could.

I did not notice _any_ improvement for 3 days, and was getting a little concerned. But it did come good eventually. It still feels funny after this run so it remains to be seen if I am completely recovered.

I discovered a leg/knee stretch that seems to target the exact area where the pain originate from and have been doing that stretch quite often.

I am reasonably pleased with the pace. I did the first 8km in 37:45 which is quite good. I died in the ass for the rest of the run, with the 10km split at 55 minutes - I stopped for water and to go to the toilet. Even after a very slow pace in the second half of the run I still managed a 5:02 min/km overall. The last half of this run also included several hills, so all considered I am satisfied with the pace.

This is the last long run before the HM race in Mooloolaba I am doing on Sep 19. I have a 50 minute run on Tuesday and a 10x30sec speed with 30sec jog recovery scheduled for Wednesdya, then rest Thursday and Friday. Hopefully that will sharpen me up for the race, as I really need it.

I have reconsidered my goals for the HM :

Ultimate goal - 1 hour 33 or better
Challenging goal - 1 hour 35 or better
Satisfactory goal - 1 hour 37 or better

I do think that IF this week goes well and my knee is ok these goals are realistic. The only question is what the course for the race is like - They say there is one 300 metre medium incline hill that is climbed twice - The race is 2 laps of about 10km's for the HM. If the hill is a big one it may mean my goal pace is a bit too fast. I think I am in better shape aerobically than I was for the Gold Coast HM, just need my legs to get in shape. It does seem that I run faster in races, hence the faster goal times in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment