Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Planned run 15 hill reps

Date: Tue, Jul 28, 2009 6:57 PM
Avg Pace: 04:52
Distance: 9.23km

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9994634

This is the first time I have done hill reps properly. Based from reading, the most common method for building strength and stamina that is beneficial for distance running is the following:

- Medium incline hill
- Run up for a predetermined period - I used 1:30
- Run down for the same/similar period
- No rest at either top or bottom of hill
- Steady pace

Other hill rep methods are hill _sprints_ which are for a different training purpose to the type of hill reps I am doing here.

I have in the past used the same hill for this training but only ran up for about a 50 seconds, at a brisk pace. Faster but shorter distance, and with a walk down recovery. This was a lot easier in some ways that what I did today.

It felt hard at the fifth repetition, with legs feeling like led. I definitely hit a point at around rep 10 where my legs were telling me to stop, it was a very clear change in feeling, but I just kept going.

The watch tells me the average speed was 4:52 min/km which really surprised me. I did 9.2 km in 45 minutes, which is not that far off a normal flat distance training run. I feel a little sore today after the run, and have a 50 minutes easy run to do today as well. I am supposed to do a 4:50-4:45 pace for that so I will see how I go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment