Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Planned run 40 minutes

Date: Tue, Aug 18, 2009 6:36 PM
Avg Pace: 04:50 min/km
Distance: 8.25 km

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11444320

First run after being ill for 11-12 days. Still full of mucous (yuck) and have a bad cough, but feel reasonably well. My legs feel quite good, the rest of me at about 55-60% capacity. I think I am faster now, just need to get over this completely and get a decent 8 or 10km run in to prove it.

In this run I struggled with breathing, coughing and gurgling along the way. I got to beyond 4km in about 19 minutes 30 seconds, stopped and blew my nose ( heh ) then did the return leg. A pretty good pace overall, considering my condition. I did a copule of sub 4:40's and did that pretty easily.

I am much relieved to have managed a run after all this time, I was anxious about losing condition. I do feel like I have lost long distance endurance a bit, but still retained the speed. Yet another piece of knowledge to file away - It looks like endurance is the first thing to drop off when taking an extended break like this, with speed potential remaining.

I have a 50 minute run again tonight, and a 40 on Friday. Luckily I rejoined my schedule in an easy week - reduced workload and no speed runs. The only risky thing is I have a long 1 hour 40 min run this Sunday. Being ill, I missed two of my weekly long runs, in which I was building from 1hour 20 to 1hour 30. I am effectively jumping from 1hour 20 long runs to a 1 hour 40. I have done such a duration before of course, so it should not be too bad. I might just do a flat terain run this week.

Only 4 weeks till my next race, the Mooloolaba Half Marathon. I have entered the race as well as booked accomodation. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment