Friday, May 8, 2009

Planned run 100 minutes

Date: 10 May 2009
Time: 109 minutes 24 seconds
Distance: 20.57km
Approx Speed: 11.28 kmh
Average Heart Rate: 150
Google Ped: route X 3

Did the above route exactly three times to get the distance 20.5 km..

I stopped 3 times for water and additionally I stopped to go the toilet, drinking water before and after. I estimate that these four pauses amounted to about 5 minutes delay. So the accurate time was more like 105 minutes, with average speed 11.75km/h. Once I get the right equipment to carry water - a water belt - I should be able to run continuously and eliminate the need to stop.

The last long run I did was last Sunday, where I managed 18km in 90 minutes at an average of about 12km/h. So I know I am able to run at a higher sustained speed than I did today. I felt pretty flat this morning when I started, and my legs felt heavy. My old problem of muscle cramping in the front of my lower right leg appeared again and lasted for a full first lap of 6.85km. It eventually faded in the second lap, but by that time the damage to my average speed had been done.

I tightened up quite badly on the third and last lap, struggling to maintain a decent average speed. My legs were still a little sore from this recent week of speed runs. Also as a result of my first gym session, my chest, biceps, deltoids and back were quite sore making it a slightly uncomfortable run for me.

I hope to have an improvement next weekend, as I have another 100 minute run again next Sunday. I plan to use the exact same route for that run. I mentioned in my last blog post that I have noticed a pattern of 'tear down' and 'build up' in my training. It appears that I am now in the middle of a two week 'tear down' cycle, because the recent week passed had me doing speed sessions. And this week coming up I have more speed sessions. I do need to improve my strength and speed, so I hope it will help. I just hope I don't hurt myself as I feel prone to injury doing these speed sessions.

So this is another milestone for me, having achieved the 20km distance for the first time in my life :) I have no specific injuries to talk about. The right knee is still giving me a little grief, so it remains a threat. It seems clear to me now that the biggest thing I need to worry about is injury, as I am now able to do the half marathon distance for sure. I have 8 weeks to build speed and avoid injury!!

No comments:

Post a Comment